Sunday, December 7, 2014

NaBloPoMo Dec 2014 Day 6/100 Things We Have Or Want To Add To Our Self-Care Toolbox: 003. Boston University Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation Recovery Education Program

Saturday, Dec 6th, 2014: Free Write: 100 Things - Self-Care Toolbox: Boston University Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation's Recovery Education Program

One of the things I'm pretty open about online (and off) is that I have mental health challenges. I think probably one of the most telling parts of my self-care toolbox is that I probably wouldn't have one in-use if it wasn't for the Boston University Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation's Recovery Education Program. I also wouldn't be nearly as hopeful as I am now.

Basically, it's a very little known (but very influential) adult education program for people with mental health challenges. The Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation was founded as the research base for the Psychiatric Rehabilitation Movement, which stemmed out of the ex-patient movement that got a lot of consumer-operated service groups out in to the open. Members with mental health challenges who apply and get accepted are able to enroll in classes to gain wellness tools and social opportunities.

I am always a bit regretful that I didn't know about this until 2011, since it was something I was looking for when I re-started therapy in college. They don't advertise it much to consumers, but word of mouth gets around from students and the few treatment teams that hear about it from their clients. 

It's a really wonderful place though. I have learned so many different tools to support my recovery here and how to keep them accessible. I sometimes liken my journey to this program as kind of like how Neville realized how much he could do in Dumbledore's Army when he was given the right teachers at the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment